Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Chilly for Chili

During this time of year, when we’re privileged to just nine hours of sunlight a day, getting out of bed at 5 am is a struggle. To make it easier, I do everything in a routine, so that I know that once I’ve done the things on the list I’ve made, I’ll be warm, awake, and caffeinated. My list is something like: Get out of bed. Find clothes before I freeze to death. Walk downstairs and flip the damper open on the woodstove. Start the coffee. Turn on the porch light so that the Wild Child cat will come in from the cold and eat. Feed the woodstove. Pour coffee. Read or write something, usually about food.
Eating is harder for me in the winter, too. A challenge is to eat as much as I can from what we’ve stored of summer and fall’s harvest, but still, there are some key ingredients missing. Like fresh, ripe tomatoes, or a radish, snapped crisp and cold from the ground.
Mom made us this dish for Christmas brunch. It’s milder than most chilies, making it a great addition to the rest of the morning’s offerings. I use some of my canned or frozen spaghetti sauce or roasted tomatoes instead of store-bought stewed tomatoes.

BARACK OBAMA CHILI
Serves 4-6
For Base:
§ 1 onion (about 1 ½ c) chopped
§ 1 sweet pepper (about 1 ½ c) chopped
§ 4 tsp minced garlic
§ 1 tbsp olive oil
§ 2 cups kidney or black turtle beans, cooked
§ 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
§ 28 oz chopped tomatoes or home-made spaghetti sauce

For Meat:
§ 1 pound ground turkey
§ 1 tsp ground cumin
§ ½ tsp ground oregano
§ ½ tsp ground tumeric
§ ½ tsp dried basil
§ 2 tbsp chili powder
§ 1tsp kosher salt
§ ½ tsp fresh ground pepper

For Garnish
§ chopped cilantro
§ chopped red onion
§ grated cheddar cheese
§ lime slices, cut into small slivers
§ sour cream
§ chopped jalapeno peppers

Mix meat together well with spices.
Sauté onions, green pepper and garlic in the olive oil until soft. Add meat mixture and cook until browned.
Add vinegar and tomatoes and cook over slow heat for 20 minutes.
Add beans and cook 10 minutes longer
Serve over fluffy white rice and top with your choice of garnishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment